Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:09:51 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        "'Chuck Robey'" <chuckr@mat.net>, "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>, DL-ADM <DLADM@anheuser-busch.com>, "'Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AIX going BSD

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 10:54:03AM +0200, Ladavac Marino wrote:

> 	I was actually commending IBM/AIX on its good taste in choice of
> source bits (i.e. ours and NetBSD's) and actually acknowledging that (by
> not removing the RCS id lines).
>
> 	If it weren't for the funky executable/shared-library format and
> toolchain, I'd actually like it a lot (where did it get that from?
> OS/2--AFAIR OS/2 had DLL's before AIX got them).

Actually, AIX 2.x (on the RT, remember those) had shared libraries in
'87.  These were quite limited in functionality (you could not replace a
member without quite probably breaking *all* executables that linked to
them since they didn't have indirect linkage to the functions in them.

For AIX 3.1 and beyond (RS6K versions of AIX) an all-new shared library
mechanism was implemented.  This (as I remember) hit the streets in
'90.  The funky object file and shared library format (XTOC) came from
IBM research folks.  Unfortunately, no too much attention (none?) was
paid by them to what was taking shape in the Unix community (I believe
Elf was not seriously considered at the time, due, at least in part, to
political issues between IBM and AT&T/USL).

This is my recollection anyway.  (I was there [AIX architecture] at the
time, but I learned some time ago that my memory is not infallable.)

> 	/Marino
>

> > ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------
> > ------
> > Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or
> > data
> > chuckr@glue.umd.edu         | communications topic, C programming, and
> > Unix.
> > 213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
> > Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
> > (301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).
> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

Bob Willcox             The man who follows the crowd will usually get no
bob@luke.pmr.com        further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is
Austin, TX              likely to find himself in places no one has ever
                        been.            -- Alan Ashley-Pitt