Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:54:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Maintainer of ft/lft

> > If so, I withdrawl the aspersion, and would be *very* happy to know
> > where you got the documentation.  I would probably even be willing
> > to work on a driver for the IOmega tape drive, if you have a source
> > for the technical documents not under non-disclosure; seeing as it's
> > also QIC-117 and they are standard, it should be easy to write with
> > QIC-117 documentation available.
>
> The standards are "free for the asking".  I'll dig up the contact
> address if you'd like.
>
> Biggest problem with the QIC stuff is that there are too many
> "standards".  Also, it has to cooperate with the ft driver and
> allowing them to be active concurrently is a nuisance (though
> I think desirable).

What?  A QIC-117 device is a QIC-117 device is a QIC-117 device
is the argument that's been going on.  If it *is*, then it doesn't
have to "cooperate" with anything... it *is* the replacement for
the ft driver.  Conversely, if cooperation is required, then a
QIC-117 drive is *not* a QIC-117 drive is *not* a QIC-117 drive
(which is what I was chewed out for claiming).

If I can't have one driver per standard, then it's not a standard.

I was under the impression that it was being claimed to be a standard;
if so, the bogusness of the current ft/lft driver in FreeBSD derice
from it being logically incomplete, not from any fault of the
manufacturer.

As I said before, if this is the case, I will personally go buy the
IOmega version of the cruddy on-SCSI hardware to let me hack on the
driver, as long as I can get documentation without signing non-disclosure
and making it impossible to hand off the driver and never look at it
again.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org