Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:53:09 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "'Bill Moran'" <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
Cc:        <tresstatus@bsdpunk.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: bellsouth dsl?

I could only wish.  I don't know if this is a He-Man thing, but most
of the support techs won't admit when they are over their heads.  A
few do, and usually those are the ones that I think advance faster,
but the thick-headed ones don't seem to ever want to do this.

>If the tech had been smart enough to know when it was over
>his/her head,
>he would have sent us to level 2 tech support sooner, and saved us a
>bunch of time, him a bunch of time and the level 2 tech (who
>had to undo
>the level 1 tech's mistakes) a lot of time.

Quite true but I just don't trust them to do it.

>So why not make it policy within Telco support that anything outside
>what they can legitamately fix is to be referred to you?

I think that also the problem is that the Telco's don't trust the ISP's
to fix the problem either.

>> We do FreeBSD, Linux, MacOS, OS/2, Winders, NT, 2K support
>> all for DSL.
>
>Cheers! Honestly, I think that is fantastic! Are you available in
>Columbus, OH? I would give up my Time Warner cable (which is good,
>actually) in a second for someone who really understood networks.

We are only in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA area.  In that area we are known
and have a strong network - we are the only local ISP I know of that has
true Telco redundancy - we have separate fiber feeds from a LEC and a CLEC,
with
separate OC12s coming in and backbone connectivity over both.  A large part
of our original business is frame and T1 to corporate customers, we got into
the DSL because the smaller corporate users are starting to move away from
those circuits.  We never were soly a dialup house, which is what enables
enough revenue to afford decent networking folks.

Once AT&T Cable opens their network, we are going to be the first in the
door offering it in our market.

But, this is one of those things to where I can see that a large multi-city
ISP couldn't do what we do - they have to have cookie-cutter solutions and
can't do weird nets.  Unfortunately, most of the smallish ISP's wern't
started by businessmen, they were started by techies who were afraid of
going after the corporate customers, and went after dailups.  Now that the
dialup market is being sucked up by AOL, Earthlink and the others, a lot of
those smaller folks are dying along with them, and can't expand into DSL
because they don't have the infrastructure to do it.

>> Our job is getting the Internet to your system.
>> The Telco's job is delivering some circuit that they don't
>> know what the hell is running on it and they could care less.
>
>Agreed, unfortunately, the advertising that is being pushed on
>people in
>large quantities doesn't explain that, and the bullshit that people get
>from companies like Micros~1 is that "they shouldn't have to understand
>the system"
>
>> Remember they don't get paid for the Internet service ON the
>> DSL circuit, the get paid for the circuit itself.  Call the people
>> that do give a rat's ass about the Internet service on the DSL
>> circuit for help - the ISP.
>
>Keep in mind that quite often the ISP and the Telco are the same thing.

Gaakkkkk!!!  Yes - and it's the worst possible situation.  Fortunately
the FCC was able to wrench agreements from the major cable providers
getting them to open their networks, so the era of monopolistic broadband is
drawing to a close, thank God.