Date:      Mon, 8 May 1995 12:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tom@haven.uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is a 486 fast enough for SCSI?

>   I've got a AMD486DX4100 with an Adaptec 2940 and two SCSI drives.  When
> I run iozone on one drive I get about 1.9MB/s, but when I run a iozone on
> each drive I get about .9 MB/s (roughly half).  Since the SCSI bus runs
> at 10MB/s per second, the limiting factor appears to be the CPU?  I
> thought PCI devices required very little CPU time?

It is not the CPU, but you failed to mention which version of
FreeBSD and particularly the ahc driver you are running.  I suspect
that the driver may be detuned for compatibility reasons, but Justin
is the one who would know best on that.

You also failed to mention the model of the drives, a parameters like
RPM that greatly effect the raw data rate of the drive (if you have
the media transfer rate number that is the best one to use, it is
usually a range of values due to ZBR recording.  The higher number is
what you get for the outer cyclinders, the lower number for the inner
cylinders).

I can easily do 4MB/sec using a DX33 EISA system with an AHB1742 controller
and DEC 3053L disk drives (Media transfer rate is 2.5-5.5MB/sec).  This
is with FreeBSD 1.x through to FreeBSD 2.x-current, but only because the
ahb driver has been stable pretty much the whole time.