Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 15:25:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Anders Hanssen <andersbsd@bacchus.elanders.no>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: automatic viruscheck of incoming mail

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Anders Hanssen wrote:

> hi!
>
> i have this box running freebsd 3.1-stable and sendmail. i want to scan all
> incoming mail for virus. how may i do this, anyone done it before me? is it
> possible to check windows (and other) .zip files as well? any idea of how
> much cpu it will use? thanks in advance.

From what I see (and I'm learning here, everyone please feel free to
contradict me) all these mail viruses depend on a person setting up
their mailer to automatically execute programs (scripts, whatever) that
are attached to incoming mail, and allow those applications to have
access to local resources.  Aside from the fact that MicroSoft feels
this to be normal, it *seems* to me that you'd have to be a drooling
idiot to set your mailer up this way.

Anyone get hurt *not just hit, hurt) running unix, with a mail virus?
I think, if all the problems are occurring because of MicroSoft
applications crazy defaults, to virus-check under that platform, too.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).