Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:46:45 +1300
From:      "Richard B. Mahoney" <rbm49@student.canterbury.ac.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Restricting a users CPU usage -- Possible?

Dear Readers,

I know its possible to restrict user disk storage quotas under FreeBSD
but what about a user's CPU usage? I've searched for info on this and
have come up empty handed. The reason I ask is as follows.

This is the system:

FreeBSD student.canterbury.ac.nz 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0:
Thu Jul 20 13:20:28 NZST 2000
root@172.31.45.238:/usr/src/sys/compile/MUGGINS  i386

It's an elderly Digital Venturis 5133 with 40Meg RAM.

This is the problem:

I spend most of my time in Emacs writing papers with AucTeX and
teTeX. They have lots of footnotes & I am always reformating
paragraphs and so on.

On occaision, if the formating is particularly tricky, Emacs starts
chewing up memory. It can blow out from its usual 8Meg or so to over
30Meg. The trouble is that once it reaches these levels it just stays
there and never returns to its original level. The only way to peg it
back is to kill it and startup all over again. The other problem is
that when its formating it almost completely takes over the processor
and other programmes become unresponsive.

The other day Emacs kept climbing in this way and exceeded the
available swap space. The system promptly stepped in and killed it by
itself! I was in many ways delighted. Under any other system and a
reboot would have been needed.

Nonetheless, what I would like to do is to restrict the amount of CPU
that emacs has access to. In this way, if it decides to become a rogue
programme I can simply Ctl-Alt-F2 out of Blackbox, then log in as
root, and have sufficient CPU available to quickly put a stop to it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

 Richard Mahoney