Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 16:21:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: manually changing users shell

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Sam Carleton wrote:

:Ok, I give.  I modified both the /etc/passwd and the /etc/master.passwd
:files, but the shell still does not change.  I am trying to change the
:shell from /bin/sh to /bin/tcsh.  Both shells are in the /etc/shells
:file.  How do I go about manually changing a users shell?

It sounds like you need to run pwd_mkdb(8).  This will recreate your
/etc/spwd.db and /etc/pwd.db password databases.  There is also a chsh(1)
command to change user shells with.  If you must edit the password file
directly, use vipw(8).  It does file locking, and the required post
processing.  Despite its name, the editor it uses is the value of your
$EDITOR enviormental variable, so you can use your favorite editor if it
doesn't happen to be nvi.

David