Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 17:11:10 -0600
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: new ATA bug

On 05/17/02 13:54, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Ian wrote:
>
>> I don't think so, this appears to be a genuine case of "something changed in
>> FreeBSD..."
>>
>> My motherboard and BIOS (ASUS P2B, Award) have always behaved such that
>> disabling the primary or secondary IDE controllers frees up the
>> corresponding IRQs and they get assigned to other PCI devices.
>
> Please give me a time bracket for the change. I don't see anything in the
> supposed MFC that would cause this level of impact. The code is still
> seeing two channels active on your controller and is activating them like
> it's supposed to.

You seem to have completely misunderstood what I said.  Or you just didn't
read it carefully.  You say "...is still seeing..." when the whole point of
my email was to show that it didn't used to see two controllers and now it
does.  "still" is a completely inappropriate word to describe the situation.

The nearest time bracket I have is also in my last mail...

  Correct behavior:   FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Sat Feb  2 16:27:47 MST 2002
  Incorrect behavior: FreeBSD 4.6-RC #2: Thu May 16 11:53:27 MDT 2002

I'm sorry I can't narrow it down any better than that.  I didn't notice the
difference when it first started happening (when I upgraded my development
machine weeks ago), because it doesn't seem to adversely affect my systems
at all.  I just happened to notice the difference yesterday because
Vladislav's mail pointed out the difference on the same day I upgraded
another machine from 4.5 to 4.6 and had boot logs handy to show the
before/after difference.

> Note that PCI interrupts can be shared.

Yes.  That's why I took care to point out that the difference wasn't
affecting me in any way (perhaps because of sharing, perhaps because the
difference is just misleading reporting at boot time).

But Vladislav seems to be indicating that it IS causing him a problem of
some sort.  I was just chiming in with some documentation of the difference
to help illustrate the condition he was reporting.

-- Ian