Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 1997 11:36:34 +0500
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, jrb@cs.pdx.edu
Subject:   Re: [driver testing] Odd network behaviour?

Hi Mike,

> wl2 is the 'fast' host sending, and 'wl1' is the slow host receiving; the
> trace is taken on wl2.
>
> To my eyes, this looks like the packet 302957:304417 was lost somehow by
> the receiver, and was eventually resent.  But why the long silence
> before the retransmit?  Hiccups usually seem to occur after three or
> four back-to-back packets from the 'fast' system (but not always), so
> I guess there's some overrun happening somewhere.
> use, and it's got me stumped.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen similar behaviour on NE2000 compatible cards too.  Turning on BPF
and running tcpdump at the recieving end shows that the retransmitted
packet had actually been accepted from the interface earlier.  It somehow
hadn't made it to the higher network layers.

So whatever the bug is, its probably not 82586 specific.

How to repeat:
	take a tcpdump of incoming traffic (say an FTP GET) on a busy
	ethernet, look for retransmits for packets that had been already
	read in.

Koshy
<koshy@india.hp.com>		My Personal Opinions Only