Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:23:37 -0600
From:      "Jim McAtee" <jmcatee@mediaodyssey.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Slow loading pages ipfilter/ipnat

I'm testing a firewall setup (4.6.2 Release) with ipfilter compiled into the
kernel.  I'm using ipnat to go from a network with 192.168.0.0 addressing to
the public address on the external facing interface.  For testing, right now
I've got ipf rules just passing all traffic.  The firewall machine has two
Intel 10/100 NICs.  The machine behind the firewall from which I'm testing
is running Windows 2000 Professional.

Everything works as expected, except when browsing web pages that require NT
authentication.  They load very very slowly.  Other pages being served from
the same web server, and which require no authentication, load fast.

I've also notice that if I try to ping a machine on the other side of the
firewall using packets larger than 1472 bytes, I receive no response.  Equal
to or smaller than that size, I get 100% response.  Pinging interfaces on
the firewall itself with very large ICMP packets also gets 100% response.

What should I be looking at to troubleshoot this problem?

Jim