Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Philippe-Charles Krug-Basse <pckb@as2.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Linux for me?

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Philippe-Charles Krug-Basse wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD folks,
>
> 1) My first question is: Can I install Linux on this system and what may
> be the peripherals that will not work with this OS (Modem, Sound card,
> TV Adapter, etc.)?

There is some confusion here. FreeBSD is not a type of Linux. It is a
completely free BSD based unix.

Yes you can install FreeBSD. You will have to be exceptionally careful
with your complex system of discs and partitions.

You ask about 5 million questions in here. You will get 5,000,000
factorial opinions on what is better than what. This information will be
pretty much useless. Before any answer to what is best can be useful,
you must determine what it is you are trying to accomplish.

In a nutshell, FreeBSD has a very tight control over it's code. FreeBSD
accels at networking. FreeBSD has full source code. FreeBSD is free!
FreeBSD has several development tools for building software.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html