Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfrodo42@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: Core dumps on signal 10 (SIGBUS?)

>From: "Jane Frodo" <jfrodo42@hotmail.com>
>Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:58:51 PDT

>     I have a user who gets a core dump every two hours or so (the
>application runs around the clock).  The message in the messages
>file is:
>Sep 21 09:06:47 smaug /kernel: pid 22786 (smaug), uid 1321: exited on
>signal 10 (core dumped)

>Of course, every once in a great while it will get bored with signal 10,
>and die on signal 11 (segfault).  I'm not particularly worried about
>the segfault, and I doubt that the segfaults are related,so I just
>need to know what on earth can cause a signal 10? And am I
>correct that signal 10 is "SIGBUS" (I looked in
>/usr/include/sys/signal.h for this definition)?

My understanding is that either symptom is a result of an attempt to
access memory that was either never allocated or had been free()d before
the attempted access.

In either case, I would consider this a bug in the application (unless
it's demonstrated to be at a lower level, such as the system libraries,
in which case it's definitely a bug that needs to be fixed).

gdb may be useful to get a "backtrace" to see where the error occurred.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621