Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 07:27:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd970924.tgz available...

> Hi,
>
> I have  been testing your sound driver for about 1/2 hour.
>
> Overall vat seems to work rather well however I am getting a slight
> subtle click on the background. I think is the recording generating

is this with vat or other programs ?

> the click because I just did "cat /dev/audio0" and managed to hear
> the click actually "cat file.au >/dev/audio0" also generates
> the click.

may be an artifact of not using auto-dma (although you should only hear
that if your interrupt takes more than 16 samples to respond, which is
2ms, quite a long time for a modern machine...)

> Also I hear a high freguency pitch on the background.

that I don't know... maybe it's just poor decoupling on the analog
section of the card... at times the "LINE OUT" has a better quality
than "SPKR" output...

> Then later on I got:
>
> pcm0 at 0xffff irq -1 drq -1 mem 0x0 flags 0x0 en 1 confl 0

yes, it is a bit too verbose but it helps testing...

> My config line is:
>
> controller pnp0  # this is required for PnP support
>
> device   pcm0 at isa ? port? tty  vector pcmintr
>
> My card is an AcerOpen AW32 Pro Wave Table Audio Card about ($60).

probably similar to the AOpen card I have seen. The instruction booklet
has a copyright where the right owner etc. is always "This Company" so
I expect the same hardware to be sold under several different names.

> It has a CS4236 in it.
>
> -------
>
> Not ready yet to dump my GUS PnP 8)

I think the card is good, just my driver sucks :)

BTW in the new driver I tried to put the instructions to set up the
GUSpnp as you suggested. I tried to look which ones were just CS4231
init (already present) and which ones were related to the IW -- should
this make your life easier...

	Cheers
	Luigi