Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:07:52 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FXTV Round Two

lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca:
 |Randall, I've managed to solve the problem with getting the fxtv frame
 |rate problem solved. (This goes back to my mail on freebsd-multimedia a
 |couple of weeks ago.) Reordering the boards on the PCI bus solved
 |that.

That's good.  Could be some other folks in the group could better their
frame rates with the same technique.

 |Now I'm having a couple of other problems. It seems that fxtv is not
 |setting the frequencies on the tuner properly. When in cable tuning mode,
 |channels 60 and up seem correct, however I can't tune anything below
 |channel 60.

Well, in the current division of labor, that channel number gets fed
straight to the driver, who then maps that to a frequency based on the
configured channel set, and sets the tuner with that.  So it seems the
driver's mapping isn't right-on for your region, or you may have an
incorrect channel set configured (see cableFreqSet and antennaFreqSet in
the Fxtv README):

    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fxtv/README

Also, make sure you have AFC on (Options->AFC) -- it'll probably help you
out.

 |I seem to recall something from one of the freebsd lists that
 |mentioned how to set up explicit mappings for the NTSC cable frequencies,
 |but I can't find it in the list archives. Is there something I'm missing?

There are examples of this in the README.  E.g.:  "PBS(f169.00)"

I should convert this to a man page, but I don't know the art of cooking
nroff.

 |Also, the settings in the apps-defaults/Fxtv file don't seem to be
 |sticking ...

Yeah, lots of folks have trouble getting their X env vars set right.  I did
until I wrote some commercial X apps a few years ago.  Try this.  It's not
the full-blown form, but it works well if you don't need localized apps set
up on your box:

  XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
  XFILESEARCHPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%T/%N%S
  XUSERFILESEARCHPATH=$HOME/cfg/app-defaults/%N%C%S:$HOME/cfg/app-defaults/%N%S

and:

  unsetenv XAPPLRESDIR

Then simply slap your personal app-default files in ~/cfg/app-defaults.

Randall