Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:16:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon1 <simon1@server.simon1.net>
To:        C KH <dubbified@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't connect to DNS servers -- Firewall prob?

> Actually I neglected to mention I also have this rule:
>
> #       Allow all traffic from internal lan
>         $fwcmd add allow all from 192.168.0.0/16 to any

How is this box configured?

If it's setup to act as a gateway:

LOCAL_LAN (192.168.x.x) ---->	Interface A

					Server

Internet ($externam_ip)		---->	Interface B

The DNS servers are going to be on the Internet, from what you posted,
which means that your server isn't connecting to it as 192.168.x.x, but
isntead as $external_ip_address. So, allowing the 192.168.x.x network to
access anything isn't going to work -- because as far as the server is
concerned it's using $external_ip.

You need a rule allowing whatever address its using for the *internet* to
connect to the nameserver.

To use a (made up) example:
	I setup a gateway machine for NAT & etc. Local LAN address is
192.168.0.1, external address is 100.10.10.1

When the system accesses the internal network, it'll make use if the
192.168.0.1 address, but when it goes out on the internet (on the second
network card) it'll use the 100.10.10.1

If the DNS servers aren't on the 192.168.x.x LAN, and are on the internet
instead, you'll need to add a rule to allow "100.10.10.1" (aka your
external IP) to access the
DNS servers.

-Wolfe