Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 21:02:07 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum - How long does it take to perform operation X?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 19 October 1999 at 18:47:22 +0100, Adam Nealis wrote:
> > Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> If you get any kind of dump from Vinum, I want to know about it.
> > Would you like me to send you the next vinum.core I get?
>
> Is this a dump from vinum(8)?  That would be new.  I certainly don't
> want you to send me a 200 MB panic dump.
It'd be worse than that - the box has 512MB RAM ;).

It was a vinum dump, However, I discovered what my missing
ingredient was. Namely, I hadn't used disklabel to change
the type of partition 'e' to 'vinum' from 4.2BSD.

Suddenly GOTCHA number 6 in man 8 vinum makes a lot of sense.

I compiled and installed a debug kernel, caused a panic, and
followed your instructions for analysing a crash dump. I got
some joy, but not what I expected from your vinum (4) page.

As you were interested in the core dump I'll send it to you
separately, rather than hit the list, along with my gdb
session o/p and a ps laxw of the system during a

vinum stop

hang.

I'll keep my /var/crash/{kernel,vmcore}.0 files around in
case you can see an obvious (to you) mistake in your vinum
.gdbinit files.

Thanks so far...
Adam.