Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:51:15 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:37:21AM -0500, Bruce Pea wrote:
>--On Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:33 PM -0400 Steve Hovey
><shovey@buffnet.net> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, dynamic usually means not a business - which often means
>> spam - and we are all losing hair over the war on spam.
>>
>> I now block ip's with no reverse dns
>
>We are doing this as well. We get a fair number of complaints from people
>who's mail doesn't get delivered but we tell them to fix their DNS so we
>know someone isn't trying to spoof us. So far, 23 out of 25 organizations
>complaining have fixed their DNS.

We started blocking on no rDNS several months ago, and it's been extremely
effective with low false positive problems.  I heard that AOL started
refusing connections with no rDNS about a month ago which makes it easier
to justify our policies to the clueless.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

Instead of giving money to found colleges to promote learning, why don't
they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning
anything?  If it works as good as the Prohibition one did, why, in five
years we would have the smartest race of people on earth.
		-- The Best of Will Rogers