Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:02:24 +0000
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mdf@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: extattr_set_*() return type

On 21 Dec 2011, at 15:31, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:18:58 pm mdf@freebsd.org wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>>> Hmm, if these functions are expected to operate like 'write(2)' and =
are
>>> supposed to return the number of bytes written, shouldn't their =
return value
>>> be 'ssize_t' instead of 'int'?  It looks like the system calls =
themselves
>>> already do the right thing in setting td_retval[] (they assign a =
ssize_t to it
>>> and td_retval[0] can hold a ssize_t on all of our current =
platforms).  It
>>> would seem that the only change would be to the header and probably
>>> syscalls.master.  I guess this would require a symver bump to fix =
though.
>>=20
>> An extended attribute larger than 2GB is a programming abuse, though.
>> Technically int may not be 32 bits but it is on all supported
>> platforms now.
>=20
> Today it is an abuse.  In the 90's a 64-bit off_t was considered an =
abuse by
> some. :)
>=20
> The type should match the documented behavior.  On OS X the set =
operation
> doesn't return a size but instead returns a simple success/failure (0 =
or -1)
> for which an int is appropriate.  However, the FreeBSD API documents =
that it
> operates like write and consumes the buffer.   Note that the size of =
the
> buffer passed to the 'set' and 'get' operations is a size_t, not an =
int, and
> the 'get' operations already return a ssize_t, not an int.

Using an int was probably a bug. If we can switch to a ssize_t without =
undue disruption, it seems worthwhile to do so. There was never EA API =
standardisation, and it might be worth pondering whether to pick up =
additional API variants matching Mac OS X or Linux (note that they =
differ from each other even!).

Robert=