Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:35:36 -0500
From:      Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
To:        Nicole H <nicole@daemontech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Log analysis program running under apache reboots server!

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:56:37AM -0700, Nicole H wrote:

> On 13-Nov-00 Brian O'Shea wrote:
> > Nicole,
> >
> > Is it a panic, or does it just silently reboot?  If it's a panic,
> > what is the panic message, or any other message on the console when
> > the system crashes?  Also, can you get a crash dump? (see the
> > dumpon(8) man page)
> >
> > -brian
> >

>  Silent reboot :(

Be sure the machine is setup to capture a crashdump on panic.
I had a machine that was doing this, and wehn I got it to do proper
crashdumps, I got a good lead on the problem.

in my case, I set aside a raw partition, and setup this in rc.conf:

dumpdev="/dev/rda2s1h"  # Device name to crashdump to (if enabled).

Then I symlinked /var/crash  to someplace else, because my /var wasn't
too big.

Good Luck.

--
Robert Sexton - robert@kudra.com, Cincinnati OH, USA
The individual choice of garnishment of a burger can be an important