Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 18:04:55 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I wonder how much trouble something like this would be to do? :)

#
# Someone sent me this.  It sounds like "one of those really simple
# engineering ideas that marketing got ahold of and hyped the heck
# outta" but still - I can think of more than a few MIS managers who'd
# just eat this up.
#
# 					Jordan
# ----
# UG565-07 DEC's SECURE INTERNET ROUTE
#
# Tunneling - transporting data from one point to another
# encapsulated in wrapper packets - is a networking technique
# that's been around for some years. Claiming to have its neck

[...]

	So, we have two firewalled networks; each has
	a "tunelling proxy", which accepts connections from
	inside, and another -- from the outside (or may this be
	a single proxy program?) and -- voila, wer'e Ok, we have
	a secure channel over an insecure network?

	And we can have a single RFC#1597 network (or better to say
	a piece of address space), closed to the world, splitted into
	a few parts but transparently connected via a tunneled secure
	channels?

	Simple and cool.

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	An undocumented feature is a coding error.