Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:05:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        jim@starshine.org, lostone@edenbbs.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login

> >> Read the FAQ,visited the web page still can't login. What have I
> >> forgoten? Sorry for the dumb question but I remain lost.
> >>
> >>  ______________________________________________________________________________
> >>        Sent from Eden BBS  -  714-548-1900 -  Telnet: edenbbs.com
> >

> >	Ummm....your password?
>
>    I think what he wants is "root" for the user, and it won't ask for a
> password if you just did the install.
>
> -DG

> David,

	Maybe FreeBSD 2.2 should install default /etc/issue that
	gives instructions about logging in as root, and a run-once
	root .profile that then overwrites this (and itself) on
	first login.

	The old SLS distribution of Linux (probably the first
	viable combination of a Linux kernel with packages and installation
	scripts -- back in '93) did this.  I think most of the
	current Linux distributions do this.

	Considering how many new-to-unix converts we're getting
	it seems like this would be a good idea (and trivial to
	integrate).