Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:50:56 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes)

On Thursday,  1 June 2000 at  1:43:17 +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> IIRC we agreed to disagree in general on points of spelling and
>> punctuation which differ from one country to another, even though
>> we've agreed to stick to two spaces in the documentation project.  I
>> think it's inappropriate to single people out because they choose to
>> use a different but valid punctuation convention from the one you do.
>>
>> In case you missed it, in England and Australia the convention is one
>> space after a full stop.
>
> I agree with your view of retaining the home country quirks of individual
> writers (it particularly irritates me when documents written in English
> are converted to American), and I don't like individuals pointed out
> negatively in commit logs.  But your facts are in error.
>
> There is no "one space" convention in Australia.  I learned typing in school
> (an actually useful skill, no less), and two spaces were mandatory.  I can
> accept the possibility of regional variation among states, or the more
> probable dilution of skill due to increased foreign word processor use,
> but the two space rule has not to my knowledge been revoked.

My statement was based on observation.  If you have any documentary
backup, it would interest me.

> Um.  I think I'll send this rant to -chat.  BTW, I'm not currently
> subscribed to -chat if you want to take me to task for my evil ways.
> I note with some amusement that you included two spaces in the only
> place in your message where an inter-sentence gap appeared.  What
> are your true feelings on this issue? ;-)

I didn't say I was conventional :-)  I use the two space convention
because I find it more convenient.  But most text written in Australia
or England has a single space after the full stop.  Period.

Greg