Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:21:01 -7
From:      "Jim McIver" <jmciver@lmtribune.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   install problem

Sorry to bother you but I've been trying to install FreeBSD for three
days and can't figure it out or find enough info.

I have a cdrom diskette given to me by a friend(maybe an enemy), but
no cd drive in the 486 pc I'm install on, so I copied the cdrom /bin
directory over to another unix box and tried to ftp it into the install pc
and it sayes Release infomation not correct. Tried setting it "any" and
then it can't find what it needs in the bin.inf file or doc.inf for a
minimum install. I have 137 files in the /bin on the unix ftp server
from the cdrom copy and select minimum install and it just won't
seem to go.

Tried the internet ftp site install and it copies a very long time, then
nothing and still doesn't install. I can't seem to find what I need to
copy down from the internet to get an install to run.

I'm new to FreeBSD and was hoping you could point me to a url that I
could download just the /bin or minimum startup from to my other
unix box as the cdrom that was given to me doesn't seem to have the
right stuff, or I don't have the correct info in an .inf file.

Maybe one file I could download and unzip into a directory on my
other unix box so I can get it installed.

Sorry if I'm rambling...but three days of this is starting to wear on me.
My final goal is to set this up as a DNS server on the internet, but I
can't even get the OS loaded....sounds like I'll have lots of fun.

Regards,

Jim McIver
Systems Technician
Lewiston Morning Tribune