Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:24:14 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6-cur doesn't find ad0p3 with MBR and GPT on the same disk

--nextPart28534125.RWeUduEGzK

Am Freitag, 1. April 2005 11:33 schrieb Andre Guibert de Bruet:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > I upgraded a experimenting box from 5.4 to 6 with the result that 6 can=
't
> > find my GPT slices.
> > The disk additionally contains an MBR for booting, I'm on x86...
> >
> > Is there any trick to convince 6 to accept GPT slices after mounting ro=
ot
> > from the same disk, traditonally from ad0s1a, so I can continue mounting
> > /usr a.s.o. which are on ad0p3?
> >
> > With the old 5.4 kernel it was no problem, but userland is already
> > -current so I cannot login anymore :(
>
> Just as a wild guess, this could possibly be related to the ata-mkIII

I'm quiet sure that it hasn't anything to do with ATA, I used ata-mkIII bef=
ore=20
on RELENG_5 on that mixed MBR/GPT box.

[...]
> This might be too little too late, but following the "safe upgrade steps"
> in src/UPDATING would have prevented this situation (You really should

Well, it was one of my testboxes, although I haven't expected the upgrade t=
o=20
disable the box it's not that problem. The problem is that I want to have=20
=2Dcurrent on it without changing my disk layout, booting from MBR label an=
d=20
having everything else on GPT slices. 8 labels per slice are not enough on=
=20
that testbox!
And every GPT partition holds more or less important data....
And I need current to test it, whether it is stable enough to run my webser=
ver=20
since I need nullfs at sensible performance, which RELENG_5 doesn't provide
And if it fits my needs. this box will act as PXE installer... Hmm, it's mo=
re=20
important than I thought....

Thanks,

=2DHarry