Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 23:40:16 +0200
From:      Gustaf Tham <gus@algonet.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   640 MB MO-drive -- use od or da driver?

Hello all,

I got no reply last time, so here we go again:

I have a 640MB SCSI-connected MO-drive.  That means 2048b / sectors.
Cannot the da driver handle that?

The drive is reported at boot time as da0, and:
606MB 310352 2048byte sectors 64h 32s/t151c

When I mount the disk FAT-formatted, I get:
"da0s1: slice starts beyond end of disk: rejecting it
     (repeated twice for each slice until:)
da0s4: slice extends beyond end of disk: truncating from 3317410816 to
310352 sectors.

In spite of these messages, it works!

Trying to disklabel, newfs and mount gives the same error messages,
and does NOT work; the FAT file system is left untouched.
I use custom disktab entries.

=46rom several postings I got the impression that the da driver should
be able to handle MO-drives with more than 512 b/sector.
Am I doing something wrong?
Or must I use Shunsuke Akiyama's od driver?

In that case, why was that driver removed from the later distros?

I suppose I could resort to using 540MB disks, but they are more
expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Gustaf Tham