Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 07:11:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (Questions FreeBSD)
Subject:   Is this going bad?

Hi all,
	I've been having some problems with my server lately. It crashes in
the middle of the night with nothing in messages or lastcomm of significants.
The console is dark and won't come back.

However, I have seen these messages occasionally:

horton kernel log messages:
> wd2: interrupt timeout:
> wd2: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>

wd2 is my amanda hold disk, so it isn't accessed except at night during
backups. It crashed last Saturday morning 03:55. And on Monday, I found that
amanda hadn't completed so I flushed to tape. I wasn't at the console but a
short time later, the machine crashed again.

My guess is that the disk is spun down, and it's not coming back up gracefully,
all the time.

This is 2.2.7-Stable, cvsupped last week, on a Compaq DeskPro (133Mhz) with
64Meg. The disk in question is a 2.5 gig IDE.

Another issue is that this machine won't reboot. It just hangs. I have to power
it off and back on. I have another Deskpro that reboots fine. This is obviously
a hardware problem, or BIOS. Any pearls of wisdom on this. Apart from getting
rid of Compaq? I'm already scheming on how to do that.

Thanks,
Paul.

--
It is morally wrong to discriminate by disproportionate tax levies against
those who aquire material possessions at an abnormal rate, whether as a