Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:54:24 +1000
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        "Xeon" <xeon@gmx.ch>, "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problem with starting Samba

[2001/07/23 23:07:07, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(827)
  Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host hwbsd.spiele.local

Sounds like a name resolution problem to me. What does your nmbd log say?
(You did remember to start it, didn't you?) Can you ping hwbsd.spiele.local
by name? by ip address?

Did you have a look at  /usr/local/share/doc/samba/textdocs/DIAGNOSIS.txt