Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:43:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   for i in disks

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about implementing an "autorun"-like mechanism for disks.
The idea is to have a script with a known name on a known position
(say, partition `a' on the first BSD slice) which is called during
boot.  The script does something to set up the disk (mount some other
partition, or set up a ccd, or something like that).

However, to do this, I need to be able to write a loop in /etc/rc* to
iterate through all available disks.  I guess devfs when fully
implemented will make this easy ("/devfs/da[0-9]*s?a"?) but my
understanding is that it is not ready yet.  I could try mounting all
the nodes in /dev (the ones that are not available will presumably
just fail) but with up to 96 disks per system, that could be a lot of
failures.

I could do something like

  grep 'da[^ ]* at ahc' /var/run/dmesg.boot

but it sometimes overlaps other messages and it also appears to be
very incomplete on some machines.

===
>> grep 'da[^ ]* at ahc' /var/run/dmesg.boot | sort
WARNING: / was not properly dida12 at ahc0 bus 0 target 12 lun 0
da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da10 at ahc0 bus 0 target 10 lun 0
da11 at ahc0 bus 0 target 11 lun 0
da13 at ahc0 bus 0 target 13 lun 0
da14 at ahc0 bus 0 target 14 lun 0
da15 at ahc0 bus 0 target 15 lun 0
da2 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
da3 at ahc0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
da4 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
da5 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
da64 at ahc4 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da75 at ahc4 bus 0 target 11 lun 0
da8 at ahc0 bus 0 target 8 lun 0
da9 at ahc0 bus 0 target 9 lun 0
===

(There are 42 disks on this machine.)

Any ideas?

Satoshi (I know I know, one of these days I'll actually implement something)