Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:01:44 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Randy Smith <randys@amigo.net>
Cc:        Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW as load balancer

Randy Smith wrote:

>>>Is it possible to use IPFW to do load balancing? I want to do create a
>>
>>Yes it is.
>>

>>>trasparent proxy to a cluster of Squid caches. I was thinking of something
>>>along the lines of:
>>>
>>>add prob .33 fwd <cacheA>,3128 tcp from <my-net> to any 80
>>>add prob .50 fwd <cacheB>,3128 tcp from <my-net> to any 80
>>>add          fwd <cacheC>,3128 tcp from <my-net> to any 80
>>>
>>>Does this make sense or is there a better solution?

I doubt this will work, since individual requests can take up more than
a single IP packet, the transmission could get broken up and rendered
incoherent.
Something more plausable would bet to break up your internal traffic
by subnets. i.e.:
add fwd <cacheA>,3128 tcp from 192.168.0.0/24 to any 80
add fwd <cacheB>,3128 tcp from 192.168.1.0/24 to any 80
add fwd <cacheC>,3128 tcp from 192.168.2.0/24 to any 80

On the one hand, this isn't "dynamic" load-balancing, so a single
proxy could easily be overloaded, while another is idle.  It is
better than simply configuring each client seperatly, though, since
you can manually adjust the balancing at the server.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies