Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 01:56:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Scott <scott@SchematiX.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Huge Bug in FreeBSD not fixed?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.02.9808110025020.216-200000@SchematiX.net> Scott writes:
: I ran across this bug a while back on rootshell, and then again by a user
: on IRC who offered to take down my box. Soon after that, the bug was fixed
: and things were fine. But just out of boredom, i decided to run the
: exploit again. Sure enough, i had a kernel panic and that was it. All of
: this from a normal user account. The bug has reoccured recently and may
: cause problems on my server if the users find out about the vulnerability.

This program won't even compile for me :-(.

However, fixing the obvious bugs, I was able to run it 20 times in a
row w/o any problems that I could detect.  This was on my -current
system....  That will give you an alternative to running Linux.

Can you enable ddb and/or crash dumps to find out where things are
crashing?  What are the messages that you getting?

Warner