Date:      Sun, 05 May 2013 22:07:40 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reference documentation for a scsi DTrace provider.

El 05/05/2013 9:26 p. m., Kenneth D. Merry escribió:
> On Sun, May 05, 2013 at 20:46:55 -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> Hello;
>>
>> By the way Solaris implemented some DTrace providers it looks like we
>> need a scsi provider as a starting point for a iscsi provider, which in
>> turn (plus the IP provider) is also a requirement to get NFSv4/NFSv3
>> providers.
>
> Why do the NFS providers depend on an iSCSI provider?

That's a good question.

According to the NFSv3 provider documentation:

https://wikis.oracle.com/display/DTrace/nfsv3+Provider
____

All NFS operation probes have the first argument in common:

args[0]		conninfo_t *		socket connection information

The conninfo_t structure is already used by the iSCSI target provider
(iscsi) and the NFS v4 provider (nfsv4), and is intended for use by all
provider which are providing some higher level protocol (e.g. iscsi,
nfs, http, ftp).
_____

Regards,

Pedro.