Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 22:44:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nasty SCSI tape problem

> use the 'B' option to dump

I'm doing that - that's where the calculations don't make sense.  According
to the man page B=no. of blocks and b= blocksize.  So, in the absence of
other information i'd expect

dump 0uBbf 160000 10 /dev/nrst0 /usr  and
dump 0uBbf 1600000 1 /dev/nrst0 /usr

to take up the same amount of tape.  In fact, dump calculates 2.4 tapes for
the first command and 0.24 for the second.  (I'd give you the actual output
from dump, but I just tried to do that and my system froze up - see below.)

If I let the command run, the intermediate messages, and demands for tapes,
match the calculations.  This isn't quite the end, though.  If I make a dump
according to the second command it appears to complete.  If I then rewind the
tape and try to wind to the end of the dump (a simple test of a clean tape
file, besides, I'd like to use the rest of the tape) using these commands -

mt rewind
mt fsf 1

the rewind works normally.  The second command starts the tape winding, but it
never stops.  It sounds as though the tape winds to the end, rewinds, and then
starts winding again.  I have left this running for 15 minutes.  If I interrupt
the command, the system gradually freezes - as below.

I originally posted this to 'hardware' because I'm suspicious of the tape
drive, but the fact that this behaviour seems confined to the dump command
has me confused.  If I tar a file on to a tape, I can use 'mt fsf 1' to move
past it without trouble.  I should also add that my system is, otherwise,
very reliable.  Nothing else causes crashes or freezes of this kind.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but this is annoying and I'm concerned about only
having tar-style backups.

John