Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:18:29 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        chip@chocobo.cx
Cc:        daniel.beatty@amd.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster 64 AWE and PnP difficulty

On Tuesday, 12 September 2000 at 22:40:50 -0400, Chip Marshall wrote:
> On September 12, 2000, daniel.beatty@amd.com sent me the following:
>> I am currently setting up a FreeBSD Box at the house and encountered
>> difficulty.  The difficulty is with the Soundblaster 64AWE card.  I set up
>> the FREEBIE configuration file to Soundblaster 16's settings, and received
>> error messages like "DSP failed to reset" and "AWE32 not detected."  I also
>> tried the AWE64 set up for version 3.1 (as it is stated on your web site),
>> and it did not work either.
>> Machine stats:
>> Processor: AMD K6-2
>> Hard Drive:  2.0 GB
>> OS Version: FreeBSD version 4.0 stable.
>>
>> Could you provide some documentation on this subject?  Also could you
>> recommend some good system programming books for computer science students?
>> Any and all help is appreciated.
>
> In future you should post your kernel config file with questions of
> this type.
> All you should need to put in the kernel config for an AWE64 card is
> device pcm
> device sbc
> and it should work fine. Mine does, at any rate.

I'd personally prefer not to see the entire kernel configuration with
every configuration problem.  The same goes for dmesg.  It tends to
obfuscate the simple cases, though I'll grant it's sometimes necessary
for more complicated ones.  In this particular case, I'd be more
interested in seeing the relevant dmesg output.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.