Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 01:53:26 -0700
From:      Elle Yoko Suzuki <suzuki@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IRQ issues?

hi.  I run FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE here's my scenario:

i've just recently acquired a SCSI-2 PCI controller (Adaptec 2940)
and a SCSI HP DDS1 tape drive.  these components seem to work fine.
however, there seems to be a problem between the SCSI controller
and the 3Com ethernet card (3C509).  upon attempting to connect to
net via our DSL line, ping showed anywhere from 94% to 100% packet
loss both to our router and any outside machine.  traceroute showed
that each packet, for each hop each time, took ~2000 ms back and
forth.  upon removing the new devices, net access went back to normal.

there may be an IRQ conflict.  according to my kernel configuration
file, the ethernet card -- device ep0 -- is set to irq 10.  i've tried
to edit the kernel configuration file to change the ep0 irq to
something else, say 11.  unfortunately, this caused a conflict with
the sound card (i'm guessing from the dmesg line.  this sound card is
actually not found or supported for FreeBSD 3.2, i understand: a SB PCI
128).  i removed the sound card, which i haven't been able to use
anyway.  at this point, i believed that the ethernet card was set to
irq 11, now available, and the scsi controller to irq 10.  however,
upon reboot, i find that a conflict still exists: the coexistence of
the ethernet card and scsi controller card still cause major net
laggage.

several questions arise:

1. is this even IRQ related?  if not, what are some other possible
reasons for the problem?

(assuming that this is IRQ-related...)

2. is the irq indeed able to be set from the kernel configuration
file, and then definitely read by the bootup/device probing process?
(the dmesg thinks the ep0 is set to irq 11, as i had configured, but
someone had mentioned to me that i shouldn't have been able to do that.)

3.  the line for the controller currently only reads:
	controller ahc0
what if i were to set the irq of ahc0 to something that wasn't in use by
another conflicting device, say irq 5?  i'm not sure what the
appropriate syntax would be to follow the 'ahc0' in the line above, even
from glancing at the other lines with 'irq ...' info set in them in
the kernel configuration file.

any and all advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.  thanks,

-elle