Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 01:45:01 -0700
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Keith D. Kotay" <kotay@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Win95 on a FreeBSD Machine

--------
> I have a FreeBSD machine on which I would like to also install
> Win95.  I can't find any instructions on how to do this.  From
> what I've read, I have to trash everything on the disk now
> because I have to create a new partition for Win95.  I do have
> a tape backup drive so I should be able to restore what I have
> now onto the FreeBSD partition.  Here are some questions I have:

Why do you need to trash it?  I guess you do if you don't have any unallocated
space, and Win95 will blow away the boot sector, but other than that, why not?

(I do remember something along this line tho...)

> * Where do I get the boot manager I have read about?

Booteasy (and OS-BS) are available on the CDROM in /tools or on the ftp site
in the same place (/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/tools...)

> * If I'm using the boot manager, does FreeBSD have to be the
>   default partition?

No.

> * Is this the right order of steps: repartition the drive, install
>   Win95, boot FreeBSD off a floppy, restore FreeBSD from the
>   tape backup?

More like boot freebsd, reinstall minimalist config, restore from tape.

> * How do I restore FreeBSD from tape after I boot from the floppy?

The opposite way you backed it up.  (dump-->restore;  tar czf -> tar xzf)

Hope this helps.