Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:17:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jason Young <doogie@earth.anet-stl.com>
To:        da5id@simons-rock.edu
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Ports

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 da5id@simons-rock.edu wrote:

> Jason Young wrote:
> > You installed a 3.0 binary package on a 2.2.7 box (I did the same thing
> > myself a couple times, I have mixed server versions around the office
> > and forgot).
>
> How does one prevent this?

Uh, don't install 3.0 packages on a 2.2 box?

Don't get packages from ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.0-release/packages,
instead get them from 2.2.7-release/packages. Sysinstall defaults to doing
this correctly unless you deliberately change it.

Alternately, build them yourself from /usr/ports.

Jason Young
ANET Chief Network Engineer