Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:09:55 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Startup scripts configuration [Was: Re: ports/30274: isc-dhcp3 port out of date]

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:00:14AM -0700, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/30274; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Cyrille Lefevre <root@gits.dyndns.org>
> To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
> Cc: "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>,
> 	Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>,
> 	Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
> Subject: Re: ports/30274: isc-dhcp3 port out of date
> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:59:27 +0200 (CEST)
>
>  Sorry for the late answer, I thought I already update this port.

[snip]

>  	files/isc-dhcpd.sh.sample
>  		enhanced a lot to read startup options from
>  		etc/rc.isc-dhcpd.conf.
>  		program and config files checking added.
>  		messages logged through syslog.

And once again, this makes me wonder: would it not be better to have
a common way of having ports' startup scripts - and local startup scripts,
in general - read configuration from a single source?

I've brought this up in the past, and my proposal was to use the already
existing /etc/rc.conf{,.local} files; the only trouble with this is that
reading these files is highly rc-system-dependent.  For the present,
it is kind of enough to do something like:

. /etc/defaults/rc.conf
if type source_rc_confs | fgrep 'shell function' > /dev/null; then
	source_rc_confs
else
	rc_conf_files=${rc_conf_files-"/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local"}
	for i in ${rc_conf_files}; do
		if [ -r "$i" ]; then
			. $i
		fi
	done
fi

Yes, I know that some aspects of this are quite ugly, but it does
achieve its goal - letting the local startup scripts use the same
single source configuration mechanism as the rest of the system does,
without populating /usr/local/etc with lots of 20-byte files.

And yes, I am aware that this will be changing as soon as the NetBSD
startup system makes its appearance; however, the NetBSD system is
not likely to make it back to 4.x, not to mention 3.x, and in
the meantime, the above snippet works fine for my local configurations..

G'luck,
Peter

--
This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks of your brain.