Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:06:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodman <keith@cydonia.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   scsi reseting on boot

System:
FreeBSD 3.4-stable<the only cd I have 56k to slow for ftp :) >
PII 333Mhz
3 Adaptec 2940/UW controllers
21, 2 gig seagate 2 gig scsi2 drives

Issue:
I've installed the system just fine, added all the drives and can mount
them just fine after adding them to the system. When the system boots all
looks well up to just after the....
"Waiting 15 seconds for scsi devices to settle".  After that is displayed
and the system begins to boot, all scsi devices that are on the three
controllers reset. It will eventualy boot and I can use the system and
the drives just fine, as if nothing ever happened.
I'm currious as to what could be causing the scsi devices to reset so
harshly. Could this be a setting in the Adaptec BIOS or something to do
with FreeBSD? I'm leaning more towards FreeBSD being at issue here since
the same thing does not happen if I hook the cards and drives up to a NT
or Win98 machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
	I would love to have posted the actual messges printed to the
screen but it's not being logged to syslog. If it would help I can hand
type in what is displayed. And yes this does happen on my 4.1-stable
system as well so I doubt the 3.4 version has anything to do with it.

Thanks for any info.

Keith

|              Keith Woodman                |
|      keith@cydonia.net    (primary)       |
|      keith@telestream.com (secondary)     |
|              www.cydonia.net              |