Date:      04 Jun 2002 21:45:43 +0100
From:      "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        johann@broadpark.no
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PRINT: HP DeskJet 820Cxi

--=-d+w2G2NZGzCqq01ujwRl

Hi Johann,
   From your lat post, we have the same device settings in our
respective kernels, so I'm totally at a loss as to the reason behind the
failure of my box to pick up the parallel port:-(

I'm not sure of my next move here. This printer worked a long time ago
on this box when it used to be a windows (98SE) system, so I'm reluctant
to consider a hardware failure. I posted a cry for help to the
freebsd-hardware mailing list neverthelss, asking if anyone knows what
the actual error string in dmesg means. I'll be hoping to hear from
*someone* soon on that.

Other than that, there's not a lot I can do with respect to progressing
the issue, I'm afraid.

Hopefully someone'll pick this up and run with it for us.

Stacey
On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 21:00, johann@broadpark.no wrote:
> [...]
> > correctly by your system, which is the problem I have. On boot, this is
> > all I get for my ppc0:
> > $ cat dmesg.boot | grep ppc
> > ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
> > $=20
> >=20
> > Here is the kernel support I have compiled in:
> > device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
> > device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
> >=20
> > # Parallel port
> > device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
> > device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
> > device          lpt             # Printer
> > device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
> > device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
> > device          vpo             # Requires scbus and da
> >=20
> > Needless to say, I can't get parallel port printing going from the star=
> > here. Did you have to do any particular Kernel / bios configs in order
> > to get your parallel port configured?
> >=20
> > Sorry I can't be any help to your case, but I'm hoping you could at
> > least assist me in getting somewhere with mine - then at I could see if
> > I could get on working on getting this printer to work as well.
> >=20
> > Thanks for any help in advance!
> >=20
> > Stacey
> >=20
> >=20
> > On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 06:53, johann@broadpark.no wrote:
> > > ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> > > ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
> > > ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
> > > Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
> > > ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 820C> SCP,VLINK
> > > plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
> > > lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> > > lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
> > > ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
> > >=20
> > > There's no doubt about it, it does get detected. Then why can't I=20
> lptest >
> >=20
> > > /dev/lpt0?
> > >=20
> > > Note, as modems have winmodems this printer is labeled 'For Windows'.=
> > hope=20
> > > that won't interfere with anything.
> > >=20
> > > Thanks.
> > >=20
> > > -- Johann
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > --=20
> > Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
> > Network Systems Engineer
> >=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science

   From your lat post, we have the same device settings in our