Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:17:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fred@veriohosting.com>
To:        Jason <jsmethers@pdq.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changed pci bus probe order from 3.2 to 4.0 -- ideas?

> The PCI spec basicly states that buses are to be probed depth first. As a
> PCI bridge is found, it is assigned the next sequential bus number and
> probed for additional bridges beyond it. As a new bridge is found, all the
> parent bridges' subordinat bus number register is updated to the highest
> numbered bus that exists beyond it. When no more PCI bridges are found on
> the current bus, the routine should return to the parent bus and continue
> probing for more PCI bridges, and so on.

Hm so does that mean that non-bridge devices on those busses should also
be done depth first?  I understand wanting to find all the busses first,
but devices too?  All the bioses I've seen seem to find all the busses,
then assign resources to devices starting with those on bus 0 then bus 1
etc.  This is also how FreeBSD <=3.4 work.  Am I just missing something?

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fred@veriohosting.com -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.