Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 13:32:06 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Esry Don-FDE005 <Don_Esry-FDE005@email.mot.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Separate boot partition?

> From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
> Date: 1999-04-07 12:23:45 -0700
> To: justin@apple.com
> Subject: Re: Separate boot partition?
>
> "Justin C. Walker" wrote:
> >
> > > From: "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>

> > Hopefully I
> > >
> > > I don't believe that's the case with IBM. I have been known to be
> > > wrong before, though...
> >      The company name, I think, is Veritas (as in Veritas Vos
> > Liberabit).
>
> Or as in "In vino veritas."  ;^)
    Sounds even better this way.

> > And you're correct that IBM didn't *buy* the
> > implementation from Veritas.  It's quite similar in idea, though.
>
> No, actually IBM *did* originally buy the volume manager bits from
> Veritas.  They then took the additional step(s) of completely
> integrating volume management and journalling into their filesystem
> and making it the default.  This was about AIX 3.0 or 3.1 timeframe,
> if memory serves correctly.
     My recollection is from talking with the Veritas folks several
years back, and that's what they told me.  Over time, of course, the
bits get fuzzier, until it's hard to tell the zeros from the ones :-}

Regards,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *
Institute for General Semantics       |
Manager, CoreOS Networking            |   Men are from Earth.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  |   Women are from Earth.
2 Infinite Loop                       |       Deal with it.
Cupertino, CA 95014                   |