Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 19:04:30 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staroffice woes on 4.4 RC --SOLVED!!

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 07:30:51PM -0600, Mike Porter wrote:
> (posting the solution here so it can go into the archives on the off
> chance that somone else in the future might actually search the
> archives before posting and find the answer to his question....)

This is an off-topic question, but this is probably the closest place
I can come to for some guesses...

The company where I work has been =very= put off by the licensing
Microsoft is rolling out with XP.  I've proposed that for most
purposes, we could replace the desktops now in use with StarOffice.
I'd prefer using the SunRay thin client and an Enterprise-class
server for most desktops.

Aside:  We've almost made it all the way back to the IBM 3270
terminal talking to a 370 mainframe--just with graphics now...

Anyway, there are some folks for whom the thin client won't work.
Like road-warrier sales and support types, for example.  For them, I
propose running StarOffice on their laptops.  But, under which O/S?

I'm most familiar with FreeBSD, and it does a wonderful job of
taking care of itself.  Rolls log files, etc. without a SysAdm
holding it's hand.  But it would require running StarOffice under
the Linuxulator, which could hurt performance (which is already a
bit dodgy in my limited StarOffice experience) and be more
complicated to set up.

Or, we could load Linux and run the native Linux StarOffice.

Or, we can load Solaris x86.  Not open source, but no license fee
for machines with fewer than 8 CPUs.

My favorite choice would probably be FreeBSD with the native
OpenOffice port, but progress on that seems to be stalled.  I can't
even get responses from the folks in charge when I offer assistance.

Has anyone reading this been through a similar decision?  Got any
pros or cons I should think about?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com