Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:45:34 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd9660: device busy

At 22:31 22-01-01 -0500, you wrote:
>This may seem silly (and I haven't seen the whole thread), but are you sure
>that /dev/acd0c isn't mounted?  If it is and the process that automounted it
>has died (/stand/sysinstall is known to do this) then try a umount -f
>/dev/acd0c, and then try mounting the CD again.
>
>--
>Matt Emmerton

It's a good suggestion, but was one of the first things I tried. However, I
have found another, apparently related, error that may help someone figure
this out.

I figured the most likely culprit was mountd, so I tried 'killall -HUP
mountd', and found the following in /var/log/messages:

Jan 23 15:37:07 ceres mountd[121]: could not remount /cdrom: Invalid argument
Jan 23 15:37:07 ceres mountd[121]: bad exports list line /cdrom   -alldirs
-ro         grendel poppy

Now, the actual line in /etc/exports is:
/cdrom          -alldirs -ro         grendel poppy

The other exported filesystem has the line:
/usr/home       -alldirs        grendel poppy

and doesn't seem to generate an error message from mountd. I've checked the
man page for exports over and over again and I'm damned if I can see what
the invalid argument might be. A few months ago the mount command was also
giving me an error message based on an invalid argument in /etc/exports,
but it's not doing that any more, just the 'device busy', but I suspect
this has something to do with it.

The frustrating thing is it was working a couple of months ago, before we
took our two-week Xmas break, and I was able to access the cdrom from the
other server (indeed, all over the subnetwork which depends on the other
server).
--
Roger

The way I drive I don't have to worry about cholesterol.