Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 10:46:28 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of ISDN drivers

>jkh@time.cdrom.com writes:
>> > What do you mean by 'sync'?  Do you really want to get down to layer
>> > 2?  In any case, you would only need one board: they handle a complete
>> > BRI.
>>
>> I mean I want to run 8 bit bytes down the line, not 10 bit bytes. :-)
>> Clocked serial.  Synchronous serial.
>>
>this is IP over HDLC, the bytes all have 8 bits :) It's completely
>transparent and demand-dialed, very simple.
>
>> I'd also need two cards - I manage both ends of the link, right? :-)
>> I wouldn't mind moving the serial load off of freefall anyway.
>> A semi-intelligent ISDN card could be stuck into a number of different
>> machines at WC.
>>
>ah, yes, you'd need a card in freefall ! The Teles card can use 2
>B-Channels. I'm not certain that the existing kernel code will do
>channel bundling, though. Sure would be interesting to try it.
>And it would *really* be nice to have someone in the US test the ISDN
>stuff !
>
>WRT getting 128kb/sec. I though the RBOCs in the States only support
>56kb/sec. per channel ? How you going to squeeze 128kb/sec. out of that ?
>The D-Channel is not used for data transfer (that would be an additional
>16kb/sec.).

Of course for $695 you can get RISC-powered "plug and power-up" 128k
sync...but we've been through that one before!

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25