Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 19:54:51 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        rob@pythonemproject.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can Sysinstall now deal with 2 FBSD partitions?

At 11:23 PM +0000 5/17/02, rob@pythonemproject.com wrote:
>First slice on the drive is Win2K. My first FBSD slice has
>ad0s2a /, ad0s2b swap, ad0s2d /var ad0s2e /tmp ad0s2f /home
>and ad0s2g /usr  (I'm doing this from memory since I'm at work)
>
>In sysinstall, I created a new slice and made the exact same
>partitions, only they were ad0s3*.  I assigned all the mount
>points.  I left the original ad0s2 mount points as "*".  Then
>I used the developer release CD as the installation medium.
>
>And to my surprise, when I booted up, I had -current on ad0s2,
>and ad0s3 did not exist.
>
>Maybe I will try this again, but I am kind of wary.

I keep starting to write a reply to you, but then I shy
away from saying anything because my knowledge on this is a
little out-of-date.  However, I would say that you should
not try this again if you need to be running on that
-stable system (instead of booting off the CD) when you
go to install -current on the same disk.

Sometime around 4.2-release or 4.3-release I did something
similar to what you want to do, and it is certainly doable
*if* you have a good understanding of what is going on.
But I did it by booting up off the CD, so there was no
confusion about which partitions I wanted to work on.

You might want to find out how you could boot up off the
CD, and have the kernel (from that CD-system) recognize
your CD-ROM drive once it is running.  It might involve
adding something to a floppy.  I haven't had to do that,
and I don't know what the steps would be.

You might also want to check:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/05/09/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

and see if that has any information which is helpful to
your situation.