Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 05:07:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INB question

> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
> Without going into detail which the original discussion didn't
> warrant, I believe it's correct to say "tending to be 0xff".  This is
> a statistical statement for those who don't have a logic analyzer
> probe coming out of their left forefinger.

I wanted to get a guaranteed detection of something I knew would have
certain buts 1 and certain bits 0 were the hardware present.

The idea of "it's black magic; don't concern yourself with it" is
intensely irksome and not very useful to boot.  I believe it *did*
merit the level of detail which the discussion got into, since that
is the only way I could have obtained a cannonically correct answer
to my question -- a question that required more than a "somtimes,
maybe" answer.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to look this up offline, since I no
longer have access to some of the documentation I'd have used to
obtain this information (my MindShare book that would have told me
is on order and has been on order for practically forever).

In any case, now I know, and spin-doctoring the answer to make it
"correct" in light of the already contradictory proofs serves no
useful purpose.  You are entitled to one spin-doctor to clarify the
question which you thought you were answering, and that is granted
you only so you can point out that it wasn't the answer to the
question being asked (I personally do this on occasion, mostly to
make sure that it's not a question of "who they believe" as to whether
or not they get the right answer).

Persistant spin-doctoring is not going to make the question answered
any closer to the question origianlly asked, and serves no useful
purpose, since it can't make you any more "right" about the *other*
question you *did* answer.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org