Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 13:42:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, blkirk@float.eli.net, jdn@acp.qiv.com, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On Fri, 27 February 1998 at 17:04:50 -0800, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> On 28-Feb-98 Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> I'll let someone else commit to this one.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>>> I think Julian's SLICE code has something in that direction.  DPT
>>> supports INCREASING the size of a RAID-5 array by adding drives.
>>
>> How can that work?
>
> Which?
>
> Julian's stuff?  I do not clearly remember, but a slice can be re-written
> and then re-evaluated.  Care needs to be excercised in not overlapping, not
> destroying things, etc.

No, sorry, I wasn't talking about Julian's stuff (which I *still*
haven't looked at; sorry, Julian).

> DPT arrays?  Simple; you make an ioctl call into the DPT driver, I
> write a message to the controler, specifying which disk to add to
> which array, the controller starts a hot rebuild, etc.  The details
> escape me right now, but I belive it is doable.  Why would you want
> to do that?  No idea... :-)

I was thinking more about what the ioctl call does.  Raid 5 spreads
data in stripes over all drives (or subdisks if you're using a
Veritas-like volume manager).  Add a drive, and you break this
mapping.  The only way to rearrange is to rewrite all the disks.  Is
that what they do?  Or are they cheating in some manner?

Greg