Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 19:23:07 -0700
From:      "Joesh Juphland" <part_lion@hotmail.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   install and boot on secondary master possible ?  seems not...

Hello,

I have a machine whose primary IDE controller is blown.  Only the secondary
works.  So, I connected my single IDe drive as the secondary master, and
proceeded to install FreeBSD.

The install went flawlessly.  I installed with the FreeBSD boot manager(the
first choice on that screen of three boot loader choices)

When I boot, I see the F1 .. Default menu.  If I wait, or if I hit enter, I
am told:

Read error

I reinstalled, and this time didn't use the freeBSD boot manager.  Just the
normal loader.  This time, after POST, it goes directly to "read error".

So, what can I do to this disk to make it possible for the machine to boot
off what I have installed on the secondary master ?  I used the fixit disk
to mount the drive and tried to edit things in /boot, but I cannot figure
out exactly what to change.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Joesh