Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:36:58 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsd 2.2.7

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 10:03:20AM +0100, nik@iii.co.uk wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 05:29:03PM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> > [I'm shooting this over to freebsd-questions because that's where we
> > ask (even newbie) questions.]
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 11:33:44PM -0700, Eric Hake wrote:
> > > Newbie question -->  If I have a 2.2.6 machine running just fine, and I
> > > want to upgrade to 2.2.7, how do you do that without buying the 2.2.7 CDs
> > > and reinstalling?
> > >
> > > Can you somehow download it, and install it, or is there a lot more too it
> > > than that?
> >
> > I guess you can read up on the gotchas to do with upgrading, download
> > the new floppy and do an FTP installation, selecting the upgrade
> > option, but I couldn't find this in the Handbook or FAQ. Is it my
> > searching skills (again!) or is it a gap that needs filling?
>
> Section 18 of the Handbook covers how to stay -current or -stable with
> FreeBSD, including how to use CVSup to update your copy of the source
> code, and how to use 'make world' to rebuild your system.
>
> A "Upgrading from one one release to the next" section (a new 18.3
> probably, with everything below that bumped down by one) would probably
> be a useful thing for someone to write.
>
> Anyone with experience doing that care to put fingers to keyboard?

It would also help us a lot if that information explained the necessary
resources for each method. For example, the one you mentioned requires a
good Internet connection, disk space to hold the sources plus a bit to
spare, knowledge of how to install the sources from the old CD, and
willingness to become familiar with cvsup and make world.

For increasing numbers of newbie home users, for example, these resources
are not readily obtained and FTP or CD methods might be more suitable.
Some sort of step by step guide would help those who assume (in the absence
of any info to the contrary) that it's like upgrading their microsoft word
processor.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-