Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:18:59 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Usage guidelines for freebsd-questions

[This is a list I compiled which hopefully will get freebsd-questions to
a better signal to noise ratio, opinions herein are entirely mine, but I
guess most people would do good to read it andthink about it for a sec.
Comments are, as always, appreciated.]

- Have you bothered to check the Handbook and FAQ or the archives to see
  if we didn't answer your question already?  And if this never made the
  FAQ or Handbook, why haven't you mailed freebsd-doc@freebsd.org about
  this with what should be added?

- Have you tried ``man <subject>'' or ``apropos <subject>'' and see if
  there is a manpage about what you seek?

- Use proper netiquette, this means snipping/removing irrelevant parts
  of the mail you are replying to, not only will the text be more
  correlated, but it will also save annoyance and bandwidth.

- Use dots, commas, capitals and parapgraphs in your mail, not only does
  it look better and more readable, people might actually read and reply
  to your mail.

- Please use english only on this list, for people unsure about their
  english, feel free to try your best at english, I am sure we get to
  what you want to know sooner or later, or check
  http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#mailing-list to see if your
  favorite language has its own mailinglist.

- People struggling with english will not be flamed for their trying to
  use english.  You weren't that great at first too when you learned
  <insert language X here> for the first time.

- Take flaming to private mail.

- Politely explain majordomo to people who send their majordomo messages
  to the list and don't include the list on reply.

- When reporting problems, have you considered that:
	- /var/log/messages exist for first help in troubleshooting?

	- uname -a a valuable tool is for people trying to help.

	- people are not psychic, hence dmesg, pnpinfo, pciconf, tcpdump
	  or other diagnostic tools output are necessary.

	- including the actual error message might help people diagnose
	  your problem?

	- specifying the version of the programs involved also helps
	  troubleshooting?

	- the steps you used to come across the problem are necessary to
	  reproduce the error.

	- mailing the list with your results will benefit other people
	  struggling with the same problem and might help our
	  documentation team to appropriately update the handbook and
	  FAQ.

	- ``me too's'' are accepted when they get substantiated with
	  your local information and results.

- Try to trim cc: lists.

- Do not crosspost unless you're sure.

- FreeBSD doesn't evolve around you, it evolves around the community.

- When asking comparisons between FreeBSD and OS X, Y or Z, please search
  the mailinglist archives at
  http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html#mailinglists for them.
  Advocacy and Questions will yield too many hits for you to even
  consider asking this question again on the mailinglist(s).

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd W/Asmodai         asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/B-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best